Washington House Inn
About Our Inn
The Washington House Inn is a historic and elegant bed and breakfast in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, on the outskirts of Milwaukee. Known as Cedarburgs first inn, built in 1846 by Conrad Horneffer, the 3-story building now offers guests a unique lodging experience intertwining historic details and modern luxuries to all visitors. Although the inn was transformed into a variety of retail stores, apartments, and meeting rooms in the early 1900’s, it was converted back to its original purpose as a guest inn in 1983 and reopened to the public in 1984, with 15 rooms. Now, 35 years later, the inn is comprised of 34 luxury guest rooms, with five located in the Schroeder Guest House a few doors down from the main inn. Regardless of the building guests choose to stay in, they will be in a prime location, with everything Cedarburg has to offer within 2 miles.
Amenities guests love:
- Whirlpool baths
- Walk-in therapeutic or steam showers
- Cozy Fireplaces
- Luxury Lines
- Refrigerators in select rooms
- Pillow top and Tempur-Pedic mattresses
- 24-hour desk services
- Valet laundry service
- Health club passes
- Antique furnishing and art
- Wi-fi access
- Tesla and electric car charging stations
- Complete business center
Alongside the luxury amenities, guests can indulge in a complimentary wine and cheese hour every evening. This guest favorite activity comes with an assortment of famous Wisconsin cheeses and a selection of local wines from Cedar Creek Winery, a family-run business located in downtown Cedarburg. While guests enjoy wine and cheese tastings, they also have the opportunity to mingle with other hotel guests, making it the perfect event for networking and new friendships. Every morning, visitors have the option to enjoy a scratch-made, deluxe continental breakfast which includes local ingredients, homemade baked goods, healthy choices, gluten-free options, seasonal fruits and a hot entrée of their choosing.
Whether individuals are looking for a romantic getaway, a family vacation, a business retreat or a relaxing holiday weekend away, guests will always be served with exceptional customer service to ensure all of their needs are met. To accommodate any occasion, Washington House Inn has a variety of specials, packages and add-ons, such as a Date Night Special and the Celebrate in Style Package. Anyone who stays at this historic bed and breakfast can expect to have a unique and wonderful experience in Cedarburg, no matter the occasion.
This To Do In Our Area
Located in the historic small town of Cedarburg, the Washington House Inn sits on Main Street, neighboring Cedar Creek Settlement, only a half mile away. This half-century old restored woolen mill sits on the banks of Cedar Creek, offering a variety of downtown shops, restaurants, spas, history and art museums. Some of the more notorious places for guests to grab a bite to eat and taste local wines and brews include:
- Anvil Pub & Grille – a 19th century blacksmith shop offering casual dining and a rustic atmosphere
- The Farmstead Restaurant – known for their angus steaks, is located in an old fieldstone farmhouse, embellished with antiques and century-old farm implements
- The Stilt House – a high-end American small-plate eatery, offers craft beers and an extensive list of international wines
- The Fermentorium Brewery & Tasting Room – Just a short drive from the inn, located off Highway 60 has a variety of Wisconsin beers and an assortment of fan-favorite games to play
- Cedar Creek Winery – After attending the Washington Inn social hour, guests can schedule a wine tasting and tour of the local winery
- Händen Distillery and The Shinery – both offer a wide-selection of delicious cocktails and spirits
For the more adventurous visitors, Cedarburg offers a variety of year-round activities to enjoy:
- Biking Ozaukee Interurban Trail – 32 miles of paved biking and walking trails
- Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts
- Movies at the Rivoli Theatre
- Apple or pumpkin picking
- Take a scenic Wisconsin Drive to view the fall foliage
- Hike Ice Age Trail
- Ice Skating or cross-country skiing on frozen Cedar Creek
- Become an artist at Glaze Pottery
- Bowling at the Cedars III Bowling Center
Cedarburg is also considered a top romantic destination, with the Washington House Inn being one of America’s top 25 hotels for romance. With Chicago two hours away and Milwaukee just 30 minutes away, Cedarburg provides the perfect, secluded and intimate getaway for any couple. Even if you stay for just a weekend, the small town provides several romantic activities:
- Cedar Creek Winery – Tasting and Tour
- Silver Creek Brewing Company – Enjoy live music and local craft beers
- Golf the Bog – Baejmanns Golf Center
- Bike ride for two on the Ozaukee Interurban Trail
- Delectable bites for culinary lovers in downtown Cedarburg
- Spa treatments at Bella Lei
Many visitors deem Cedarburg as one of the best places for a small-town getaway because of all of the wonderful activities it has to offer. No matter the occasion, the Washington House Inn provides the best landing spot for any getaway in Wisconsin.
Top Area Cedarburg Events
When guests visit Washington House Inn, they get more than just our remarkable property. They get the opportunity to explore the historic town of Cedarburg, Wisconsin, including attending a variety of seasonal events. From festivals and concerts to farmers markets, Cedarburg provides an endless variety of things to do. Within numerous categories, such as art & culture, clubs/organizations, community, continuing education and outdoor recreation, there is something for everyone to appreciate. Here are some of the events visitors can ask about during their stay:
- Local Harvest Festivals
- Concerts at the Cedarburg Cultural Center
- Seasonal farmers markets
- Summer festivals
- Free outdoor concert series
- Holiday Celebrations
- Festive Fridays
Some of the town’s more popular events include the Annual Plein Air Painting event, The Strawberry Festival, the 4th of July Parade & Hometown Celebration, Ozaukee County Fair, Harry Potter at the Village, Octoberfest, and a Cedarburg Christmas.
Awards & Distinctions
After celebrating 35 years of business, Washington House Inn has been honored with some outstanding awards in the past few years. Thanks to all of the phenomenal guests the below awards were made possible.
- TripAdvisor: Certificate of Excellence, Hall of Fame – Washington House Inn has been honored to receive this award 5 years in a row. This achievement celebrates businesses who have achieved a magnitude of great reviews from guests, such as:
- “We did a quick overnight to Cedarburg and loved every minute it, most especially our stay at the Washington House Inn! The hotel is in a wonderful spot, right in the middle of the charming, commercial area of the old town. The room was clean and comfortable and had a lovely view out onto the Main Street. The staff was helpful and friendly, and their breakfast cook is a maestro! I would definitely return! Wonderful stay!” -Michael C. from China
- “The Washington House Inn is a lovely Bed and Breakfast that dates back to the mid 1800’s. This was our 2nd stay at the hotel, the first time we stayed at their property down the street, The Schroeder House. This time we stayed in an annex to the main building. My husband and I both love Cedarburg and this Inn is a great place to stay when we visit. It is within walking distance to everything in the downtown area. Included in your stay is wine and cheese in the late afternoon and a delicious breakfast! We will definitely be back.” – Patina from Arlington Heights, Illinois
- TripAdvisor: Travelers’ Choice Top 25 Hotels for Romance – This award highlights the inn as one of the most romantic hotels in America, thanks to all of the reviews from couples around the world.
- “We hadn’t been back to this B&B inn for years and we were pleasantly surprised to discover it has only gotten better with age. We were greeted warmly and asked about any special needs. I’m allergic to feathers and all our pillows were made of comfy foam. Our room was charming, with stone walls and a poster bed. The real surprise was a Casper-type foam mattress — firm profile and yet soft enough for a really good sleep. The breakfast was continental style, with fresh fruits and freshly squeezed juices, really nice. This is a truly inviting place to reconnect with a partner and have a relaxing time.” – Rosemary from Madison, Wisconsin
- VacationIdea, Dream Vacation Magazine: 25 Perfect Luxury Romantic Getaways
- Milwaukee A-List: Voted Milwaukee’s Best Bed and Breakfast
- Business Insider: 50 best B&Bs in America – The Washington House Inn received this award due to the historic nature and modern twist of the property.
- USAToday: 20 Great B&Bs for a Holiday, or Any Weekend